Our office is recognized and accredited by the U.S. Department of Justice Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) to provide immigration services, and we have two BIA-Accredited representatives and an immigration attorney on staff. We are a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), the Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC)., the National Immigrant Women’s Advocacy Project’s Community of Practice (NIWAP), and the Gulf Coast Immigrant Advocate Network (GCIAN). We receive federal funding disseminated by the Mississippi Department of Health to provide pro bono legal and case management services to immigrant survivors of family-based violence.
The majority of our cases are humanitarian-based, and we prioritize helping immigrant survivors who have faced persecution, child abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, or other violent crimes, to obtain lawful immigration status. Our legal staff provides limited direct legal representation in immigration court proceedings and submits immigration applications to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for those who qualify for an immigration benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) based on their status as:
1. A victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking or human trafficking who cooperated with law enforcement (U and T visa applications)
2. A victim of battery or extreme cruelty by a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident spouse or parent (Violence Against Women Act, VAWA self-petition)
3. A child victim of abuse, abandonment or neglect by one or both parents (Special Immigrant Juvenile Status petition, SIJ)
El Pueblo also specializes in:
4. Family Based Petitions and Family Based Visas
5. Naturalization Applications for Citizenship
We are open from 9am until 5 pm Monday through Thursday. Please call first to schedule an appointment because we are not generally able to take walk-ins. However, if you are in an emergency situation involving the threat of immediate violence, we will attend to you immediately. Please call (228) 436-3986 or email email@example.com to make an appointment for legal consultation or to learn more about other services.